We are the Church of Christ Congregational in Goshen Connecticut and this is our website! We invite all people from all walks of life to join us in our faith journey together. For more information, check out our "About Us" Page.
Our church has a rich past. The Church of Christ Congregational was organized in 1740, soon after the initial settlement of the Goshen area. Our meeting houses have been located at the same site in the center of Goshen since 1744. The present building, constructed in 1833, is the congregation’s third meeting house. Extensively remodeled in 1894, the exterior is dominated by its original Greek Revival pillars, while the interior is a beautiful combination of Victorian oak and stained glass.
Our parsonage was built in 1802 and given to the church in 1855 by Giles Griswold.
Founded in the Congregational tradition, the church voted for join the United Church of Christ in 1961.
Some high points in our church history have included the ordination of the first missionaries to the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii) in 1819. Hence, the Hawaiian flag hanging in the sanctuary. The church was also involved in the establishment of early missions in the Pacific Northwest and in the founding of Claremont College in California. In 1963, the church joined in a Catholic-Protestant dialogue with St Thomas of Villanova Catholic Church. Joint Thanksgiving services and Cookie Packing for shut-ins continue to this day.
In 1965, the Congregation decided to build a parish house for Christian Education and community support. This building is still used to support the community by hosting the Children’s Place Nursery School, Goshen Community Care and Hospice, scout meetings, 12 step programs, the Goshen Garden Club, and other community programs.
In 1974, the first Blueberry Festival was held as a fundraiser for the church. It is a tradition that has continued to the present with the church making and selling over 1000 Blueberry pies as well as muffins, jelly, and pancakes!
In 1975, the church established a Nursery School which became the Children’s Place with programs for 3 year olds and 4 year olds.
In 2009, the church called the Rev Paige Besse-Rankin to be their pastor.